How to add network traffic rules to a distributed switch
Network traffic rules are a distributed virtual switch feature available since vSphere 5.5. It allows the administrator to create rules to allow, drop or tag certain types of traffic. What follows is a simple example where the administrator decides to prevent ICM traffic from one vm to another one using IP qualifiers.
1. After creating a distribued virtual switch, edit the settings of the port group.
2. Select Traffic Filtering and Marking and Enable this feature.
3. Click on the "+" sign to add a new rule.
4. Name the rule, select the traffic direction and specify the qualifiers.
5. Verify the settings of the rule created.